Sunday, December 20, 2009

Sad little smile



My People were very worried and called the Emergency Hospital in the middle of the night, and asked for the truth. I was trying to get better, but it just wasn’t working, and I was so tired. The Vet on duty, Doctor Boudreaux, was very nice, but said the prognosis wasn’t very good. She added with a sad little smile that there was still a faint possibility I might pull through. The Lady was trying not to cry, and said, “I don’t think I can go through this again so soon.” I wonder what she meant? Whatever it was, Dr. Boudreaux and Z and the rest of the staff worked extra hard to take care of me that night. My People went home and talked about how they were the only family I had left (not that Evil Steve and Wicked Wanda had ever amounted to much) and it was up to them to make me well, and that I just HAD to get better because I was part of their family now.

I didn’t know it yet, but my people were coming closer to a name for me. The Man and the Lady both want to call me Atticus. It’s the name of a beautiful moth the same colors as me, and Atticus is the name of Gregory Peck in Harper Lee’s book TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. I think this is my new name. Atticus. I sound very important. And smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment